I like creating healthy recipes for my family, and when I'm looking for a new clean-eating recipe, I end up on a bunch of different blogs, printing out several recipes for the same dish, and then creating a concoction that combines elements from each of the recipes I printed.
Sometimes, I create something wonderful.
Other times, even I don't want the leftovers.
But most of the time, the picky eaters in my house leave the table with full bellies, and there isn't too much bribing in order to get them to eat.
But what finally set me over the edge was a pie crust! Yes, you read that right! Pie crust.
I'm willing to try most things at least once, but I have to be careful. Someone in my houses despises coconut. Coconut milk, coconut oil, shredded coconut, everything coconut. So when I found a recipe that called for coconut flour, I definitely hesitated.
But then I went for it! I made a pie crust for the Christmas pies with coconut flour! And Picky Eater #1 devoured it, and even exclaimed that the pie was "SO good!" And at that moment, I knew I had to create a blog, and share my creations.
The crust here is kinda thick. The first time I made it, I didn't split the dough ball.
Ingredients
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
2-3 grinds of Himalayan pink salt
1/2 cup butter (I like Kerrygold)
1 egg
1 egg white plus a splash of water for egg wash
Directions - My favorite kitchen tools are a fork and a food processor. Use either one for this pie crust.
1. Mix together the flours and salt.
2. Mix in the butter.
3. Mix in the egg.
4. Form two balls, and dump each onto a piece of cling wrap. Flatten each ball into a disk, and cover with the cling wrap. Each disk is enough for one pie.
5. Refrigerate for 45 min. to 2 days.
6. When you're ready to make your pie(s), preheat the oven to 375F, loosen the cling wrap, recover, and roll out with a rolling pin or smash it flat with your fists.
7. Butter your pie dish, remove the cling wrap from one side of the pie crust, and flip it into the dish. Leave the cling wrap so your fingers stay clean when you smash the pie crust to the edge of the buttered dish and up the sides.
8. Use the egg wash the edges of the crust, and bake for 10-12 minutes.
9. Cool for later use, or fill with pie or quiche filling, and bake as directed.
This recipe has been adapted from Food Republic: http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/holy-grail-status-perfect-paleo-pie-crust-recipe/

No comments:
Post a Comment