Saturday, January 7, 2017

Crockpot "green" chicken chili

I'm almost never read the paragraphs and paragraphs of text authors write about their recipes. Pull me in with a yummy looking picture, and then show me the ingredients. If they're not normal looking and stuff I already have on hand, I'm moving on.

With that being said, please understand and accept my brevity. I promise, it doesn't detract from the yumminess of my creations ;-)



Ingredients

12 tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, quartered
2-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and rinsed
fresh cilantro (I pulled the leaves from 30 "stalks")
1 lb boneless skinless chicken (breasts are leaner; thighs are juicier)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
1 can of beans, rinsed and drained (butter beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, etc.)

Garnish - additional cilantro, plain Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper, etc.

Directions

1. Food-process the tomatillos, garlic, and cilantro. Voila, the "green stuff".

2.  Dump a bit of the green stuff in the bottom of your crock pot. Place the chicken on top, and sprinkle with the cumin. Dump the remaining green stuff on top of the chicken.

3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.

4. With the chicken still in the crockpot, shred it. Add the beans and corn, and cook for 1-3 hours longer.

5. Serve and garnish individually.

Don't have time to add the beans and corn at the end? Add it to the crockpot in Step 2, and skip Step 4. 

Serving information: Recipe makes 4 servings. Ungarnished, each serving is 1G, 1R, and 1Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment