Thursday, January 19, 2017

Crockpot Chicken - The easiest thing to make in the crockpot, ever!

Last year, a friend shared her recipe for a crockpot chicken that feeds her family of three for four meals. Immediately, I saw money staying in my bank account, and less time spent in the kitchen. 

Here's Michelle's recipe: 

Ingredients:

1 Onion
1 5-6 lb Whole Chicken, giblets removed
2 tsp Paprika, plus 1/2 tsp
1 tsp Salt, plus 1/8 tsp
1 tsp Thyme, plus 1/4 tsp
1 tsp Garlic Powder, plus 1/4 tsp
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Directions: 

Basically, chop the onion and put it on the bottom of your crockpot. Mix the seasonings, rub them all over your chicken, and place the chicken on top of the onions, breast-side up. Cook  on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. 

When the chicken is cooked, it's fall-off-the-bone delicious! 

****

But here's the kicker!! You never actually eat this chicken as a meal...! Nope! You harvest the meat, and use that meat for your meals. 

You also save all the juices and the bones and the skin to make chicken stock. Just add some celery ends, some carrot peels, water, and a bay leaf or two, and cook for several more hours. And yes, the first time I did this, I felt totally Martha Stewart! 

Unfortunately, Michelle's recipe results in chicken stock that's too spicy for us. I have no idea which ingredient is the culprit, so of course, I've modified her recipe! 

My recipe: 


Raw and ready to go!                  Cooked, skin removed, and ready for harvesting.

Ingredients:

1 5-6 lb whole chicken*
2-10 cloves of garlic, chopped, smashed, diced, etc.
onion flakes or powder
salt and pepper

Directions: 

Throw that chicken into the crockpot, cover it with the garlic and onion, and cook it! 

****

Once you've harvested the meat, add your celery, carrots, raw onion, bay leaf, and water to the crock, and make some stock!

*Whole chickens are usually pretty cheap, but I've also done this with boneless skinless chicken breasts and bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. Use whatever you have or whatever's on sale! 

No comments:

Post a Comment